About Me

My photo
Small Town, New Jersey (originally Nebraska), United States
Born in Nebraska-Heart and Soul, Living in New Jersey due to career, always looking for hunting opportunities out of the normal realm

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Plans well made!

I was told once that I don't let the grass grow under my feet! Well, it's happened again. Today is March 20th and I've just booked my last hotel night for my Saskatchewan Trip, it's all planned down to the amount of US Currency I need to exchange for Canadian Currency before the trip. This trip is special to me, I guess that's why I'm so excited. I'm doing this one with friends however at the same time-I'm doing it alone!

I've had favor to go to Saskatchewan two times prior to this trip. There were several of us on the trip and we planned it out and did it together all the way from departure to arrival. I'm going with friends this year as well however-I'm doing this one alone! The usual trip involves arriving on Saturday and checking into a local motel for the night, the next morning we board up with assigned drivers and undertake the 5 1/2 hour ride north to the lodge. Now I don't want to sound selfish however this trip is totally and unequivocally-for me! I've booked my flight for Friday (a day early) so I'm not traveling with the hoards of Saturday arrivals. I'm hoping for a quiet trip and a good nights sleep in downtown Saskatoon. My partners will be arriving Saturday midday to late afternoon and I'm sure we'll get together for dinner. Of course the following day we'll be driving up together, for me that's where it all ends. My flight home will be on a Monday, in exchange for the normal Sunday flight!

For the last several years I've been focused on trying to get some other hunters a respectable Midwestern Nebraska Buck. Although my attempts have been lacking, none-the-less it was me who sat by watching others hunt and doing what I could to get people in the right spots. I'm generally unselfish as it is, however this fall is different. Once I land at the lodge-it's all about me!

On my past trips I've ended my hunts on Wednesday and Thursday respectively, with lesser bucks harvested. I've often wondered what would have happened had I just hung in there a little longer. There have been some monsters harvested in the region and I still yearn for "The One". With all of this in mind, I have learned over the years that my serenity is directly proportional to my expectations. Now that the trip is 100% a go, all I have to do is close my eyes at night and dream about that moment in time! I'm trying not to get too jazzed up, but I will. If you wouldn't, your not a true whitetail hunter!

There is nowhere in the world like Saskatchewan during the Rut for whitetail hunters! If you don't believe me, you haven't been there. I pride myself a Godly man however annually I'm drawing dangerously close to selling my soul for a trip up north....lol! As with most I have obligations to concern myself with: family, work, family, lawn, family and all things financial. Did I mention family? There are a lot of ships rocking out there in the ocean, I'm not willing to rock the one I live in....if you know what I mean!

I have to say, there is an air of calmness now that I've booked the last hotel night required for the trip-it's on! Hopefully I can just sit back and relax until November......NOT!

It is my sincere wish that those who would read this blog would one day land at Saskatoon Airport on their way up north, there's just nothing like it in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment