About Me

My photo
Small Town, New Jersey (originally Nebraska), United States
Born in Nebraska-Heart and Soul, Living in New Jersey due to career, always looking for hunting opportunities out of the normal realm

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Time Well Spent

As I sit here at my desk I often wonder how and what I would change about this past hunting season. 2010's season isn't over exactly-but it is for me! December has brought about the cold air and the realization that winter is here to stay. Nebraska averaged about 45 degrees during rifle season this year, a little warmer than I would have liked it to be.

I arrived in Nebraska a week early this year, actually arrived at camp on Tuesday prior to the Saturday opener, wanted to check out the area since it was the first time I had hunted the panhandle. The bucks were chasing does, seems like deer were everywhere you looked, the temperatures changed on Thursday and the deer disappeared only to be found on others trucks and trailers beginning Saturday morning.

As always I get pumped up which leads to a massive downswing when things don't go well. I enjoyed the hunt mind you, just could have been a bit better. They say that a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work, I assume "they" don't enjoy their jobs. As for me the frustration mounted quickly as the realization came that there were too many hunters and not enough deer on the property that we had permission to hunt. We altered our course as any good hunter would do and chased the mighty beasts around State Lands and further into neighboring private property. I would have to say that I saved the lives of more deer than I've harvested! Ben landed a respectable buck on a last ditch effort. We hit a piece of State Land with pine trees on it on our way home and out he popped!


Hunting for me has always been a thing to share, I just don't like hunting alone as much as I do with others. Harvesting a Buck is alright for sharing bragging photo's but it's more than that to me; it's the whole trip! From the time I send out the first email to the day that I pack up and head home is all part of the hunt to me, I enjoy other's excitement more than my own I guess. This year was somehow different, I booked bad land, the weather wasn't right, the Rut was on hold and I just couldn't find deer!

I would tell you that I have a knack for finding the right spots to hunt, you put me on a piece of property and within minutes I have a plan and know where not to hunt! This year my thoughts were all over the place, I just couldn't find the deer! My frustration falls in the area of my hunting buddies, me-if I don't harvest a deer I still enjoy the hunt, this year I invited 3 of my buddies and if not for the miracle on State Land we would have headed home with 2 does for our efforts. A fine feat, but not what I traveled 1500 miles for!
By Tuesday of the week I had turned my efforts to small game, didn't give up on the deer just wanted to do something while I waited for the others to harvest deer. A Jackrabbit, Pheasant, Grouse and Turkey all fell to my Remington, followed by a Doe near the end of the week. It was a multitasking hunt in my eyes and multitask I did.....lol.

It goes without saying that if you put yourself fourth on the list for harvest, you'll probably go hungry. I've been reasonably unselfish for the last few years....It's my turn!
2011 looks to be the best opportunity I've had in a few years to bag a buck, it's back to Saskatchewan I go! November seems way to far off to be thinking let alone planning on a hunt but as I'll tell anyone who understands Remington Country, it comes faster than you think!
Time spent in the field is always good time as long as no one gets hurt. I can't say that I didn't enjoy my November Nebraska trip-I always do! As I look back I've been re-thinking that being fourth on the list thing, I think it's my turn next fall.

As for this fall, it was still time well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment