About Me

My photo
Small Town, New Jersey (originally Nebraska), United States
Born in Nebraska-Heart and Soul, Living in New Jersey due to career, always looking for hunting opportunities out of the normal realm

Saturday, June 26, 2010

There are certain days

I find it harder to get motivated towards the art of hunting when the average daily highs are in the low 90's. When walking from your house to your truck in the driveway gets you sweating the thoughts of climbing a hill or setting up a ground blind couldn't be farther from your thought patterns.

Once again I find myself sitting in the office surrounded by what was and items that have yet to be and thinking about this upcoming fall season. Due to unforeseen events this fall is going to be a one and done hunting season. A Nebraska Sandhills rifle hunt will be the thing my dreams are made of from now until November. With two (2) either sex hunting licenses and attached Bonus Doe tags there are four (4) deer somewhere out west who may be feeding multiple hungry families.

My plan is to harvest the first nice buck I see and then focus on that one of a kind Mule Deer Buck, unless he appears first. The area where I'll be hunting houses about a 50/50 mix of Whitetails and Mulies, with river bottom land and several square miles of sandhills on the property so both will come into play. With this confounded heat wave we're having it was quite inspiring to wake up this morning to rather chilly temperatures outside.

At 5:30am my Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Lorrie) decided that she would like to go out so she woke me up and out we went, I'm glad she did! As I walked out of our master bedroom door into what was a bit of a chill my thoughts immediately turned to being in a tree stand or on the side of a hill overlooking a valley. Funny how fast your thoughts can turn on certain days.

I mentioned earlier that this was a one an done season however that's not exactly true. Last fall I cleaned out my safe and traded a few lesser rifles and shotguns for two Remington CDL Stainless Fluted rifles in .270wsm and .300wsm, what else could a man want? With two new rifles and two Nebraska either sex licenses I figure I'm really looking at two hunts! I think maybe the .300WSM first followed hopefully by filling a tag with the .270WSM later in the week. Imagine if you will, two trophy hunts in the same week!

There are four of us going on the trip this fall, my hunting buddy Rich of course followed by my long time grade school buddy Ben to which we've added a business partner and friend Gary from Missouri. I find that the quality of a hunt is directly effected by the quality of the persons on the hunt and you couldn't find 3 more quality guys than the crew we've put together. Each in and of his own right a hunter but mostly each in and of his own right a genuine nice guy!

I find that the stories told after the hunt seldom enlightened the harvest but more so the events of the trip, you need good people to have good events! Today is yet another 90+ east coast day yet being a Saturday I'm sure that it will be filled with all things hunting for me. I need to get my longbow(s) out and loose some arrows before Rich calls me to the carpet, I think a quick cleaning (wipe down) of the guns in the safe is in order not to mention finding my hunting clothes containers now that Poppy and Nanny's household goods are stored in our garage. To me getting ready is half of the fun of a hunting trip.

As for those two rifles, they both need the barrels worn in on them, the Winchester XP3s are sitting on the desk, the range is open and I have the targets made up for 200, 300 and 400 yards however did I mention that it's 90+ degree today...lol, they'll just have to wait to take their first ride to the range.

There are certain days alright and today is one of them, if only to have a time machine! My wife often comments that I wish my life away waiting for my next hunt, she's probably right-she usually is. However wish it away I will, because this is one of those certain days!

No comments:

Post a Comment