About Me

My photo
Small Town, New Jersey (originally Nebraska), United States
Born in Nebraska-Heart and Soul, Living in New Jersey due to career, always looking for hunting opportunities out of the normal realm

Saturday, January 30, 2010

God's been good to me!

It's been a while since I sat down to write, mostly because hunting season is over and the weather still shows remnants of winter, who am I kidding...It's cold!

It's hard to extend feelings and aspirations about hunting without making it yet another story about the long shot or the buck of a lifetime. Hunting is a much deeper thing than that to me. It seems that there's something missing this time of year, oh, the hopes for the upcoming season, planning and dreaming are in full tilt but still there's a sort of emptiness when I look at my mounts, guns and equipment. Time spent alone at the computer at night researching seems to be all for not, yet I keep typing, entering and deleting.

Recently I've come into contact with a few of my old schoolmates. Most from grade school and into Jr. High. Some with good memories others with, well, I was young. All in all they are a large part of my growing up in the heartland and the memories have come flooding in. One of the things that I noted today is that out in farm country all of the kids jump on the bus and go home at the end of the day. I never realized how lonesome it could get. To have the hustle and bustle of a day come to a close with some play time and no ones around.

Funny thing middle America, It's all that we should be yet you have to grow up fast. As noted in an earlier blog the buck I harvested in Nebraska is at the taxidermist, I'm looking forward to some news in the near future. It takes about 6-8 months to get them back so it's sort of like opening a Christmas present, you kind of forget what it looked like and you anticipate the joy.

This year comes with yet another present, the new three (3) piece custom Leon Stewart bow will be done in early April. Having ordered two (2) sets of limbs it's actually two bows in one! So much to look forward to this year. Rich and I have decided to take it easy this fall, only one trip in the plans, and yes: it's Nebraska! The focus this fall isn't on wall hangers as much as on multiple species. Some upland game, waterfowl and deer hunting will be the order of the day and so on we go. The duck and goose decoys will no doubt be in tow as will the waders and brush pants. Oh so much to pack and so little time..lol.

I'm not quite sure how this fall will pan out for hunting. Nanny and Poppy are coming to live with us in a few weeks once the construction is finalized. Nanny is in or at least getting into the advanced stages of Alzheimer's. It isn't going to be easy. But then: what would you do in my shoes? God has been good to me over the later years of my life, between the memories of past and the Blessings of late I've come to know a life that for the most part has only been dreamed of. It seems that he has a plan, I'll follow!

Tonight I sit in New Jersey but my mind is afield in Nebraska. A mental break was needed and I took it, all the way out west! For once in my life cleaning a rifle, smelling Rem Oil and watching hunting shows can't cover the reality of whats to soon come.

I said earlier that I'm not sure if I was Blessed for having my childhood or cursed for having the memories, the memories may be all I have this fall, I'm glad I have them!

There is a great sense of accomplishment in a successful ethical hunt, there is a greater sense of accomplishment in helping another, and help Poppy and Nanny I will! For one of the first times in my life I actually feel like a responsible adult. It wasn't that long ago that my life would have been all about me and the challenge of helping in-laws wouldn't have been an option.

I'll have to make the call this fall as to whether it's more important for me to hunt of stay home and assist. Either will be fine with me! That's how I can say: God's been good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment