About Me

My photo
Small Town, New Jersey (originally Nebraska), United States
Born in Nebraska-Heart and Soul, Living in New Jersey due to career, always looking for hunting opportunities out of the normal realm

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Where to go Next?

Lately it has dawned on me that many of you have hunting grounds that you return to on an annual basis. I'm wondering how I missed that boat in my life. I've had countless opportunities to purchase a track of hunting land and/or lock down a lease, however I don't think that's the kind of hunter that I am. Each fall, this one is no different, I look forward to my upcoming hunts as well as into the future. I'm always looking for something new to do however I'm the kind of guy who likes to go with a known. I've hunted in at least 13 of these United States and 1 providence in Canada. Given the chance to return to any of those areas I think I'd lean towards repeating my past actions. At the same time I'm being eaten alive inside with the idea of finding a new and remote possibility. This morning for instance I'm looking into Montana Mule Deer hunting. I'd like to find a remote area, a cheap backwoods hotel and just spend my evenings listening to the elders of the region talk about what they've seen in their day. I somehow long for a wilderness hunt, red plaid jacket, wool pants and a bombers cap. I just long for the Teddy Roosevelt days! My wife lovingly reminds me that "I often wish my life away", she feels that I spend too much time in tomorrow and not enough in today. I would have to agree with her on that point, however it's the dreaming that keeps me hunting. I have 13 days till I sit a stand in Ohio with Long Bow in tow. I've already lived the entire hunt in my mind, I know where the deer will come from, where he'll be when I loose my arrow and where he'll fall.....and then it's on to Nebraska! There's an underside to me that is only noted by few. I'm not in this hunting game for the harvest, I'm in it for the game! I spent a 10 year period hunting New Jersey, Nebraska, Pennsylvania and Michigan and didn't kill a deer: not one! I can tell you this though, there's a lot of deer out there that would have been dead should I have pulled the trigger or loosed the arrow! One in particular stands out, I was hunting a stand in New Jersey when a nice east coast 8 point (4x4) walked under my stand. I drew my bow, took aim and said: Boo! I think he's still running. In my mind the hunt was successful, I did the work, engaged the plan and beat a Wiley buck in his own home. Another was a smaller buck in Michigan. My long time friend and my wedding best man Scott and I camped on some state land in Michigan, set up some stands and a hunting we did go. I placed the upper half of my climber on a tree just about 2 feet off the ground, sat in it and watched a swamp below my ridge line placement. A not so smart 6 point (3x3) keep hanging around and hanging around. At one point he was no more than 15 feet from me, not a care in the world. My sights were on him, my safety off and again: Boo! I don't' have to harvest a deer to be a successful hunter. I was just as successful as anyone else that day. I wish more people would see it that way. It's raining again today, this hasn't been much of a week to keep the hunting coals burning. There's a warm front coming, Indian summer for sure. My only hope is that this colder wet weather has assisted in kicking off the rut. My bags are packed, inventoried and readied for my trip. I can't believe that I'm saying this but I'm growing weary of shooting my bow at a target! I grow more excited everyday about shooting my bow in the field! Should I come home from Ohio empty handed I won't mind a bit, this is my first ever hunt with a long bow. I've found solice in the bow purchase, trip planning and practice. I'm settled in my soul. I'm looking forward too but not expecting anything out of this trip except some quality time with a hunting buddy, a good nights sleep and seeing those little things afield that you'd never see if you didn't go there! With all that's at hand I'm resetting my sights on: Where to go Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment